In that first post about the camper reno I had stated that I thought painting the trim would be the most tedious for me. I was totally wrong…the cornice boards were by far the most tedious. I couldn’t seem to want to finish them, and I have been working on them for two weeks now. There is no way these should have taken two weeks. Sigh. However, this weekend I made a mad push to get them done, and I have to say I like the finished product.
Obviously the curtains that came with the camper couldn’t stay. They had to come down. Unfortunately, I wasn’t sure what I was going to do to cover up the roller blind hardware, until I saw this post from Nutmeg Place. I loved the look and they would be lightweight enough to put in the camper.
I got a huge sheet of core board and the picture frame hangers at Hobby Lobby. I already had leftover batting and a ton of leftover drop cloth, so I didn’t need to buy any of that. I also used some spray adhesive and Goop for gluing the boards together.
I then used the metal curtain hangers as a measuring tool, and started outlining the measurements onto the core board. Then I began cutting. This was the most tedious part, probably because I had to measure everything.
After they were all cut, I used the Goop and duct tape to attach the sides to the fronts for each one, and let them dry for a while. One of the cornice boards turned out to be longer than the coreboard, so I did have to splice a piece in. Again, I just used the Goop and duct tape. I did like working with the Goop because it didn’t eat through the styrofoam like some glues. Next, it was time to start covering. I used the spray adhesive and covered the boards with the batting. I just had regular quilting batting, so that is what I used. The adhesive was very useful because the batting wasn’t slipping around while I was trying to get the drop cloth to cover.
Now, I noticed that Nutmeg Place used duct tape to attach her fabric to the boards, but I used a combination of staples and duct tape, since the camper is exposed to extreme temperatures. The staples seem to hold really well.
Here is the finished back side of one of the boards.
After all of the boards were done, I again turned to Goop, and glued the picture hangers on the sides of the boards.
Then came the hanging part. This wasn’t so much fun, since I originally intended to use a level to make sure they were hung correctly. Unfortunately, since the camper is parked by the side of the house, it doesn’t exactly sit level. Well, actually there is a sharp decline when you step in it. That level wasn’t exactly going to work…so I eyeballed it:-) Yikes!
I had to use nails hang them, so I did put a few more holes in the walls. I also had the old curtain rod hardware still on the wall, so I used that as a guide to hang them, as well as gluing the boards to them to make sure they don’t come off the wall during transit. This seemed to work and the feel pretty secure, between the Goop and the nails.
And here are some after pictures.
And one before and after. I still can’t believe the transformation. I liked the outcome so much that I might just replace the curtain in our bathroom in the house with one.
Thanks for looking, and sorry for the picture quality on some of them. I dropped my camera and it now has the black screen of death, so I will have to replace it.
Core board: $9.99 with 40% off coupon=$6.00
2 packs of picture hangers: $2.94
1 tube of Goop: $2.47
Linking up to Metamorphosis Monday, Transformation Thursday, and Tip Me Tuesday.