I’m pretty sure Double D doesn’t blink these days when I come up with crazy ideas.
My co-worker and I were talking one day about how I’ve never liked the closet doors in our bedroom. We have a very traditional 1970s sized closet, but there are two doors on that thing. I’m talking two full-sized doors that don’t fold to make space. That was the other problem…when the closet doors were open, the door to the bedroom could not be, because the doors were right next to each other. This picture is the only before picture I could find, and it’s when we were painting the room right after we moved in. It’s also only half of the wall. We had changed out the doorknobs a long time ago, so the brass is gone.
So that night, I came home and removed the doors. Just took them off. We lived with our closet wide open for a couple of weeks while I decided what to do. Finally, I came across an idea using tablecloths to cover the wall. Sounds just like what I needed. We measured the wall, and also took stock of where the tablecloths would need to be split up. In addition to have the two closet doors, we also had a doorway for our half bath, on the same wall. I shopped around for tablecloths, and found a pattern I liked that was 6o x 102″ long, at $14 apiece. I bought three of them, washed them, and sewed a pocket on each one for the rod to make them 97″ long. This gives them about an inch to drape a bit on the floor.
That came to actually hanging the tablecloths. We kind of made that up as we went. We started by getting the conduit, and four clips to hold it to the wall. Two clips would be for the ends, and the other two we used in the middle for where each tablecloth ended. We used a small piece of wood for each one, allowing for the pipe itself to stand out from the wall a bit.
Then we slipped the tablecloths on the rod, and I held the whole thing up while Double D screwed the clips in place. Yes…we still have popcorn ceilings left in a couple of rooms.
The width of the entire wall was 10’7″, so we ended up getting a 10′ piece of electrical conduit, and a smaller piece, which Double D cut for the remaining. We just used a connector piece to combine the two.
The remaining step was attaching some way to keep the curtains back, if needed. We eventually just decided to go with IKEA Bjarnum folding hooks, so they can be up when not in use. We did one for the bathroom doorway, and then one on each side of the closet for the split curtains down the middle.
One more picture, this time of the before and after. I like how the colors of the tablecloths match both the carpet color, and the paint color. I also love how the two doors don’t slam into each other, and how much room we now seem to have.
Thanks for looking!