I learned so much on this project as a whole, but a lot of them had to do with the drywall step. Basically, I found out the difference between the terms drywall, and Sheetrock. Had no idea, but Sheetrock is the brand name, and drywall is the process. I also was shown what a hot patch is, and how to do it. I found out that rounded corners exist, and turn out looking spectacular. And finally, I learned that you should really take the time to prime new drywall.
Whew! That being said, we didn’t actually do anything with this step, except for the primering and painting. We had someone come out and do the drywall, because, well honestly, we suck at it. Hanging it is no problem, but we get into trouble with the mudding part.
With everything that had to be done plumbing and electrical wise in the bathroom, the room was down to studs on all the walls but two. Before anything was done, I had removed the wallpaper border on the walls that we thought would be staying. The rest was no big deal to leave since we knew it would be ripped out.
Joe finished up with the plumbing, and we had our electrician friend Jimmy come over to run the wires for the new outlets. Then we had Dave come and start on the drywall installation. Joe had left the pipes for the sink and toilet water line exposed so Dave installed the drywall around those. Because it is in the bathroom, we decided to go with the drywall that is mold and water resistant. Hopefully we’ll never have issues, but we wanted to be safe.
Dave also showed me how to do a hot patch that was on the part of the wall that we kept. Unfortunately, there was a hole there where the toilet paper holder was when we moved in, but that took care of it. I could explain it, but you might have to look it up if you’re really interested, since I wouldn’t do it very well.
Double D had the idea for rounded corners on the two that are next to the shower, and I’m so glad he did. I had never seen these done before. The plastic looks just like a regular corner piece, but it’s rounded, which softens everything a bit.
Once the mudding and taping was done, Double D and I were left to paint a primer coat on the new drywall. Because drywall soaks up the paint, the primer helps stop that, and save you a bit of money on more paint. I personally had never done this step, but Dave recommended it. I have to say it was a much easier process to paint the room after the primer.
And finally we were at the actual painting part. It was finally beginning to look to like a real room, not a construction zone, and I was so excited to get here. We went with Benjamin Moore’s Palladian Blue. In the below picture, we still only had one light bulb, and it was a really pretty blue. With the new light, it actually looks like a green color most of the time, except in the early morning hours when the sun is not full force from the south yet. Either way, I actually love how it looks on the wall, and am super happy.
Because I like to see things as before and after, I’m including this picture of one wall for the whole process from new drywall to painted. I guess I didn’t get a picture of what it was down to studs, or I would have added that to the beginning of this one.
Also, I had to add a picture of how the rounded corner came out. I love the way they both look, just because they seem to add a touch of elegance to the room. Very cool! We owe a big thanks to Dave, who made this part of the remodel seem like a breeze!
Thanks for looking! More posts are in the works, so stop by again sometime.
Check out the other Bathroom Renovation posts:
Linking up with Rustic and Refined, Between Naps on the Porch, Domestically Speaking, Home Stories A-Z, and A Stroll Thru Life: