When we started the kitchen makeover, I knew that once we got the scalloped wood trim down from over the sink, the cabinets would be a blank slate at the top. When Double D measured from the ceiling to the top of the doors, there was almost six inches we could use to create some wonderful crown molding.
This is what we started with. Yes, I didn’t paint the cabinets all the way to the ceiling. This is what happens when you think you are running low on your expensive chalk paint:) Unfortunately, I did have to end up buying another can for the crown molding and cornices, so I probably should have just painted them all the way to the ceiling. Since the kitchen is laid out in an L shape, these pictures are of the cabinets to the left, and to the right, of the sink.
To be honest, we used crown molding in our basement, and we knew from that experience that mitering wasn’t our forte. To make it easy on ourselves, I scoured the internet for ideas to do something different, and I came across the Craftsman style options. It really was something I should have thought about to begin with, since our main light fixture and cabinet doors mimicked that style to begin with. We came up with an idea based on the pictures, and even created a short piece out of scrap wood to see it we would like it.
Since we liked the example piece, we went ahead and purchased some paint grade pine boards, and Double D got to measuring. We had three long pieces for the fronts of the two sets of cabinets, and three short sets for the ends. Once they were cut, I painted them with the Annie Sloan chalk paint in French Linen, and sealed them with the same floor sealer I used on the cabinets.
Once the pieces were dry, we could start creating each section. To start, we clamped the 1×3 over the 1×4 to make an L shape. Then we drilled holes into the top of the 1×3, into the 1×4, so we could then add screws to hold them together. These screws would then be hidden at the back, towards the ceiling.
Finally, we were ready to add our final layer, which was a 1×2. This gave the crown molding another dimension, and served to cover up the screws from where the L shape was hung. We attached the 1x2s with finish nails.
I didn’t get any pictures of the next step. Once everything was hung, I used wood putty to cover the nail holes, and the joints that were visible on the ends. Then I sanded those, and repainted and sealed them.
And here is the finished product. When we made the example, I was worried that the crown molding might overpower the cabinets. In the end, I think the crown molding fits right in with the rest of the kitchen, and has become one of my favorite features. The best part is that this was relatively easy, and much less expensive than if we’d gone with regular crown molding.
Thanks for looking!
For more information on our kitchen revamp, see also:
Linking up to Between Naps on the Porch, Domestically Speaking, A Stroll Thru Life, and Home Stories A-Z: