I’ve had an old green trunk for a while now, and I have picture albums stored in it. I’ve wanted to add legs to the trunk since I got it, but I couldn’t find any that really wowed me. However, since it has pictures in it, I wanted the trunk up off the floor, so I knew I had to come up with something.
One day, I was searching the internet for something totally different, and came across the IKEA Hackers website. I saw the Capita brackets, and it just clicked that I could use those for the trunk legs. They seemed like they would be really cool for this trunk.
This is what I started with. Just your basic trunk. Unfortunately, this is not a great picture, but you can get the idea. Someone had taped the latch, which I ended up removing. I saw why they did that, since it would be really easy to lock this one, and there is no key.
Double D finished this when I wasn’t home, so I didn’t get any pictures of the process of attaching the legs. Basically he positioned the legs in line with each other, and drilled a hole where he wanted them. I told him that I would like the outer side of the leg to match the outer side of the trunk. Also, most people use the rounded part of these brackets as the bottom, but I liked the look of the square, so he turned them around.
We probably could have cut the bolts off so they don’t stick up as much. However, the albums fit just fine, so we decided it wasn’t worth the hassle to cut them off. This is what they look like from the inside of the trunk.
And here is the finished trunk, now on legs. I love how it turned out, and I figure that I can always paint them later to match the black metal pieces on the trunk if I want. For now though, I’m just happy to have it up off the floor.
Thanks for looking!
If you’re interested in trunks, feel free to check out my other trunk revamps:
Linking up with Between Naps on the Porch, A Stroll Thru Life and Domestically Speaking: