This is probably the most embarrassing post I’ve written, just because we let the closet under the stairs get in such bad shape. We had water come in the basement about seven years ago, and we had ripped the paneling off in the closet, just to see if it was leaking in there. The leak turned out not to be there, but we never did fix the paneling.
Fast forward to now. I decided I wanted to turn the closet into usable space, but keep the portion that was actually under the stairs for storage. I had multiple ideas, including a really expensive one of putting Air Stone rock strips up to hide the concrete wall. Ultimately, I decided to save some money and use drop cloth to hide everything.
This is what we started with. A good sized room, with a concrete wall and floor, paneling, and one light fixture. We had been using it for our exercise area and storage. Originally there were two doors that closed, but we had taken them down when we started this project. We did save those, just in case we wanted to use them again in the future.
Double D removed the rest of the broken paneling, and we started replacing it with new that we bought. It didn’t match, nor did we take time to line the lines up. We knew we would be covering it. Why did we take the time to put paneling up if we were just going to cover it? Well, I thought it might save some time in the future if we had it done. Since this is the only paneling in the house, I would want to fill in the lines and paint everything anyway.
Once the paneling was up, I started with the curtain. Since we wanted it to cover in a U shape, we measured the two sides, and back. I purchased two drop clothes, one a 12’x9′, and another 6’x9′, and washed and dried them since they tend to shrink. I sewed the 6’x9′ to the 12’x9 to make one big curtain at 18’x9′. I then laid it out on the floor and pinned a pocket for the top. Since I wanted to go all the way to the ceiling with these, I was happy to have a bit to play with on the top.
While I was working on the curtain, Double D started laying the carpet squares that we got for this project. These in no way match the carpet we have down there, but since we want to replace that, I can live with mismatched carpet for a bit. These were very easy to install, and actually looks pretty good with the original carpet.
From there we could think about hanging the curtain. We went extremely low tech here, but the curtain has stayed up for several months now, so it must be okay. What we did was drill screws halfway into the pipe, one on each elbow, two more in the long piece and then one on each end. Then we screwed hooks into the ceiling about where the screw heads would be.
Before we got started hanging it, I cut little holes in the back pocket loop to let the screw heads through. Then I wrapped thin wire around the screw heads with enough left to wrap it around the hooks, which Double D did. This brought the PVC up close to the ceiling and covered that gap. In addition, I hope it will be easy to take down and put back up when washing the fabric.
The last bit was adding lights to the room, which we did by buying a two fixture light kit from Ikea. I moved one of the china hutches downstairs and filled it with some dishes. The room is now able to be part of the house, and be functional. We estimate we spent about $150, but that is much less expensive than the rock wall would have been. Still would have been awesome though!
Thanks for looking!
Linking up with Between Naps on the Porch, A Stroll Thru Life, Tip Junkie and Domestically Speaking: