I came across two quilt tops in an antique store last summer, and I thought I had to save them. They were a smaller size, and had some really fun fabric. I immediately thought they would be perfect for two of my favorite young people, with the blue checkers going to the boy, and the polka dots to the girl.
I decided to make quillows out of them, for when they watch movies. I had never heard of a quillow until my MIL gave me and Double D two of them for our TV room years ago. They work perfectly, with a built in pocket to put your feet. When you’re done, you fold them up, and make a pillow (unless you’re like us, and are lazy).
Here’s what I started with. Both quilt tops were bigger than the size required, so I had to rip out some stitches. I used one that I got from my MIL for a template, which was about 68″ long and 40″ wide finished.
After that, I started working on the pocket. I decided I wanted to have their initials on each, so I found an Spell It With Fabric board on Pinterest. I followed the patterns to make an A and a K. The K was the hardest, since not all of the pieces lined up correctly.
I added a white border to the finished letters, and completed it with another border that was made out of the leftover fabric for each. I also used the leftover fabric for the back of the pocket. Then I put the two right sides of the fabric together, and added batting to one side. After sewing around 3 1/2 sides, I used the remaining 1/2 to pull the fabric through to the right side. I ironed the seams, and closed the remaining 1/2 seam with a sewn line on the top. Then I quilted the letters. The blocks turned out to be about 16″ x 16″.
Once I had the pocket complete, I started with the body of the quillow. One side was already done obviously, so I just used a plain navy blue fabric for the other side. I had enough for one solid piece, and had to splice several pieces together for the other one. After I got the blue fabric sewn together, I was able to cut batting to fit both of them. I sandwiched them together the same way I did the pockets: lay the two right sided fabrics together, add batting on one side, sew along three sides, flip right side out, and iron on the new seams.
The next step was to pin everything. I closed up the top side that hadn’t been sewn, checked for half way on the bottom side, pinned the pocket on, and pinned a line up from each corner of the pocket. I started sewing at the top that had pinned, and ran a simple stitch along all four sides. This included the bottom edge of the pocket. Once I did that, I went back to each side of the pocket, and ran a straight line all the way up to the top of the quillow. This attached the sides of the pocket, as well as created a bit of quilting.
I didn’t get any pictures of the actual folding of the quilt into a pillow, but I did find this picture on the internet. It probably explains it better than I can anyway:)
Thanks for looking!
Linking up to Between Naps on the Porch, Domestically Speaking and A Stroll Thru Life: