I think Double D finally got tired of seeing all of my future projects piled up downstairs because he got me a vintage steamer trunk to put them in. It was actually a good idea, and everything fit perfectly. These items are typically smaller items, but big enough that I just don’t have room to put them in my desk .
I started with this. It was in very good shape on the outside, covered with a textured tin. The inside was in great shape too, and someone had taken the time to remove the paper from the inside, leaving the wood exposed. I did find bits still attached here and there to give me an idea of what the paper originally looked like.
I decided to start with the painting first, and used some basic craft paint in silver for the main body. I started by brushing the paint on in sections, and then blotting with a rag. I wanted some of the imperfections to come through the paint and give it some character.
I went with black for the trim pieces. I’m not sure that they were originally black, but the existing color of the trim just wasn’t doing anything for me next to the silver. The black gives it a finished look.
Once the outside was painted, I started on the inside. I could have left the tray unpainted, but I wanted it to work with the fabric that was going inside. I had some leftover Valspar Indigo Streamer and took it outside to give it a quick coat. I also painted the wood pieces that the tray rests on while inside the trunk.
The fabric was part of a bed spread that I had bought eons ago, and wasn’t using it on the bed anymore. I love Coca~Cola, so I didn’t want to get rid of it. I took the stitches out, and used it to fabric the inside. I started by using some spray adhesive to glue the fabric above the tray rests, since there is not room to add any cardboard between the trunk wall and the tray insert.
Then I did the top and bottom of the trunk, using upholstery nails to tack the cardboard to the wood lining. Adding cardboard, batting, and fabric does take up some room, but I think it depends on what you use. I had some thicker cardboard available so I used that, and I was just using scrap batting. Some pieces were thicker than others, so I think that made it more poofy than normal.
And here is the bottom finished. The top still needed the four pieces on the sides, but that was done pretty quickly. I did put the tray inside, and closed the lid, just to make sure everything fit. It did!
Thanks for looking!
If you’re interested in trunks, feel free to check out my other trunk revamps:
Linking up with Domestically Speaking, Funky Junk Interiors, Between Naps on the Porch and A Stroll Thru Life: