Way back in September, our friend Jimmy gave me a pallet they had hanging out at their house. (Thanks Jimmy!) That was in September. Then winter came, a REALLY long winter. We just got hopefully our last round of snow on April 22. That is record-setting for us. Anyway, I guess I am saying I just got able to paint outside last weekend for the first time in a long time, so I knew my first project would be this pallet table. I have seen crazy amount of ideas to do with pallets on Pinterest, and I knew I wanted another table to go on my screened in porch, for right in front of my vintage theatre seats. They are long, so a long table works nicely.
I had Double D get out his new reciprocating saw and remove the middle board, along with the portions of the bottom boards so that we were left with two nice rectangles. However, now the two pieces had a large hole in the middle, so I bought a 1×4 to cut down and put in the holes.
I took some time and sanded the two pieces around the edges, just to get all the jagged splinters off from where we cut.
Instead of using spray primer, I bought a quart of roll-on Valspar primer. I knew that since this was rough wood it might soak up the spray primer and would cost a ton of money. I am so glad I did the roll on primer because it did soak into the wood and took at least two coats to cover well, more in areas where the wood was really rough. I used a sponge roller to apply it. It did take more time than spraying, but was less money in the long run.
I let that dry overnight. The next step was painting it with Rustoleum’s Colonial Red spray paint. Out of all the paint I have used, I think I like Rustoleum best. The paint just seems to spray better, and seems thicker too. The Colonial Red is the same color I used for the other two tables I have on the screened in porch, and seemed to fit the theme.
Once that was dry, Double D flipped the top piece over on its front, and screwed galvanized flanges into each corner on the two bottom wood strips. We then screwed the posts into each flange, and then screwed the other flanges to the posts.
We turned the top piece back over, and set that down on the bottom piece while lining them both up. That was a bit tricky since neither piece was exactly the same, but eventually it looked right. Double D then screwed the flanges down to the top of the bottom piece.
And here is the completed pallet table. You’ll have to excuse the condition of the porch. That is on our list to clean this weekend, since I hope it will warm up, and not snow anymore. (Remind me of this when it is 114 degrees this summer:)
Linking up to Domestically Speaking and Funky Junk Interiors, Between Naps on the Porch, Miss Mustard Seed and A Stroll Thru Life: