Calla Lily Wreath

Standard
Calla Lily Wreath

Since our spring has been decidedly cooler than usual, I haven’t been able to get outside to work on painting projects. In a way that is great, since I am hoping we won’t have a year like last year. It was way too hot, for too long, over the summer.  This has given me time to work on items that I have been meaning to start, but just haven’t gotten around to it.

I have wanted to make a wreath for spring since I saw this one over at Positively Splendid. One of my favorite flowers is the calla lily, and I even had them in my wedding.

I had bought some sheet moss for another project that I ended up not doing, and thought this would be perfect for spring. Because it was in sheets, I had to do some cutting, and layering so I could get it on the Styrofoam wreath. To attach the moss to the Styrofoam, I just used pins that you would sew with. It seemed to work, and the moss is staying in place.Calla Lily Wreath 01

Calla Lily Wreath 02The next step was making the calla lilies. I did that by creating a pattern out of paper and using that to trace along the burlap, which I had gotten for free. As you can tell, the pattern took me several tries to get right:) Unfortunately, I didn’t get a picture of this step.Calla Lily Wreath 03

Then I cut the pattern down to trace around it onto the cream-colored fabric I had selected for the calla lilies. For some reason I ended up cutting 10 of them. It seemed like a good round number.Calla Lily Wreath 04

Once I had the burlap and fabric cut, I used some spray adhesive to join the two together. This was a messy, messy part, and I had adhesive all over my hands when I was done:) I made sure to lay down some wax paper before I had started, and was glad I did.

I had three different colors of flexible wire, and used all of them to make the stems. Since the wreath was Styrofoam, I made the stems longer so I could use them to push down into the wreath. I cut some twine, glued it on, and then wrapped the burlap\fabric cutouts around the metal pieces to create the lilies. I didn’t bend the fabric, like in the Positively Splendid tutorial, since I had added a point to my pattern. Here is a picture of the end result.Calla Lily Wreath 05

Calla Lily Wreath 06Making the leaves was pretty easy. I used the same paper pattern, but cut it differently to make it look more leaf like. I traced the back of the green fabric, and then cut them out.  I think I made 14 altogether. I pinched the ends of them and put a dab of hot glue in between the fold. Calla Lily Wreath 07

Calla Lily Wreath 08Once the lilies were made, and the leaves were done, I also made two fabric roses out of a piece of binding from my quilt my grandmother had done. It was threadbare, but you can’t tell with them all rolled up.  I am glad I saved it now. Then I just started laying them to make sure I liked the way it was all arranged. Once that was done, I used my glue gun to made sure they weren’t going anywhere. Calla Lily Wreath 09

And here is the final result.  I love the simplicity and cleanness of it, and the fact that they actually do kind of look like calla lilies. I used a strip of drop cloth and attached it to the back to use as a hanger. Calla Lily Wreath 10

Be sure to check out the post from Positively Splendid.  They give measurements, and detailed instructions for you to look at.

Thanks for looking!

Sarah

Linking up to Between Naps on the Porch and Funky Junk Interiors:

1-Funky_Junks_Party_Junk_link_party_29-AM

Advertisements

4 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s