I picked this beauty up in an antique store for $40.00 over the summer. I knew then that she had some damage, but it appeared that all the pieces were there, just that certain yo-yos had separated where they had been sewed together. I really didn’t think that this would be too hard to fix, but it would be time-consuming. I also liked the price, since I have seen these going for hundreds of dollars on the internet.
It wasn’t until I got her home, and really looked her over that I noticed she had one side that wasn’t finished with a strip of yellow like the other three sides have on it, shown in the below picture. Taking that into account, she measures 40 x 39 yo-yos, which is 1560 total. I just can’t even imagine the amount of time, and patience, that went into this. Yikes!
Over Thanksgiving, Double D’s mom and dad came to stay with us. Karen got to work sewing the yo-yos back together, which I am so glad she did because I was kind of dreading it. I kept walking past it saying to myself that I really should work on it. Then I decided I would wait until winter so I could do it when it would be too cold to be outside. I wonder what my excuse would have been this winter? I jumped in to help and we got all of them sewed back together in about three hours.
We should have kept track of how many we put back together, but I think that number is better off left to our imagination:) They were everywhere, and just when we thought we were done, we would find another. Our eyes started swimming after a while. Below is a picture of the worst block, and then a picture of the same block put back together. The red, green, and purple yo-yos that are hanging diagonally on the left are them same as the ones in the left hand column in the after picture.
Another problem with this quilt that I didn’t see until I got it home was that there was five yo-yos that had come apart in the middle. Karen fixed all of those. THANK YOU! I wasn’t looking forward to that, at all. There is also a purple one that had come apart visible in the previous picture.
And finally, we get to the part about the missing yellow strip. I decided to take twenty off of the other side, and sew them to the side with none. I kept two off in the hopes that eventually I can find a fabric that is close enough in color to kind of match. These look to be like vintage feedsack fabrics, maybe from the 1940s, so I don’t think I will be able to match it exactly. For now, at least both sides match each other, and the top and bottom are complete.
Here she is on the bed. The quilt is very heavy, and I am afraid that more threads will break, but I know I can always sew them up if I need to. It really isn’t that hard to do, and I think the majority of time has been spent to fix the ones that were broken. I am going to continue to wash it it a mesh bag on delicate, though.
Thanks for looking!
Linking up to Funky Junk Interiors, Cheerios & Lattes and Between Naps on the Porch: