Painted Bird Cages: A Revamp

Painted Bird Cages: A Revamp

I have been looking for items to put in my newly built screened-in porch, and I remembered that my Mom had a couple of old bird cages that were left by the people who had lived there previously.  I had found them taking up space in their garage, and had tucked them away in my brain for future use.  Yay, I am glad I remembered them:-)

Anyway, they weren’t in the best of shape.  Years of sitting in the garage had made them rusty and the bigger of the two was kind of mangled on the top corner. I decided that didn’t matter, since they were going on the porch, and besides, that adds character, right?  Just nod and say yes…rusty metal about to be painted

Rusty cage getting ready for primerI put the primer on first.  This took forever, just because the wind kept taking the primer and going right through those teeny bars.  I used two can of primer on these cages.  I had sprayed the cages beforehand with a power washer just to make sure those cobwebs were gone.

After the primer dried, I used Rustoleum’s Heirloom White to match the mirror I did previously, and put two coats on, top and bottom. A vast improvement.Painted with Heirloom White

Once they were dry, I cut cardboard for the bottoms.  They weren’t measured very scientifically, and the cutting was even worse, but I figure it will be covered, right?  Having never owned birds, I am not sure what kind of bottom was originally on there, but for my purposes, cardboard was perfect.Cardboard for the bottom

I then cut the moss sheets to fit the cardboard, and used the enclosed glue dots to attach it to the cardboard.mossy cardboard With the smaller, rounded bird cage, I had to put the candles and moss rocks in the cage before I could slip the mossy cardboard in.  There were only two very small openings where I could get my hand through to right everything, and arrange it. I guess in the future, I will have to take it apart to get them out.Almost done

The larger one was much easier since the top lifted up.  I again put some candles and the moss rocks in this one.Larger one done

And here they are complete. I used the battery operated candles because the smaller one had a perch directly above the taller candle, and I wanted to keep that feature.  That, and the fact that with the fan on, it does get kind of windy on the porch.All done

I think I will be putting the smaller one on the ground in front of the yellow table, and the bigger one will be going on the pallet coffee table when we get that done.  Lots of stuff to do yet before I can take complete pictures, but we are getting there!All done, with candles

And here is one with the candles on.  I really like the look of them.

Lit with candlesThanks for looking!


Partying with Domestically Speaking:


2 responses »

  1. Boy, are you sure they are the same cages that were in the garage:) Sorry about the cobwebs lol. I think the cages usually have metal trays for the bottom. We had a bird named Joe when I was little and we lined it with newspaper. Messy affair to clean:) I do wish you could have had a bird when you all were small, too. Our Joe would sit on your shoulder while you watched tv. One day someone opened the front door and Joe flew the coop. Sad day for us kids. I have an idea: why don’t you come up and clean out the garage, you never know what you will find in there. You are certainly an artist and you have an eye for how beautiful something can become after years of no one loving or caring for the item. Love, mom

    • No thanks on the bird thing. There is a reason there are candles in there, and not birds:) Just not my thing, but they do sound pretty in the morning.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s