This post is very dear to my heart. This set of patio furniture had sat on my grandparent’s front porch for as long as I can remember. As kids, we spent a lot of time playing outside, and sitting in these chairs. Especially in winter, because it was always 1,000 degrees inside the house. Grandma liked to keep the fire stoked:) Anyway, when Grandma passed away, the family got to go through and buy what they wanted before the public came through, and I had to have these. They bring back good memories every time I look at them.
Unfortunately, they had taken a beating, and multiple coats of paint, through the years. They sat at my house for almost four years because I was dreading having to take the paint off all the way to the metal. That would take weeks…
Then, a friend told me about sand blasting, especially since they are metal. It didn’t take me long before I had taken them in to a local monument (or headstone) manufacturer to get them sand blasted. For all four pieces, it took him two hours to get them done. I was looking at weeks to get it done myself. Here they are sand blasted. No more rust, or four layers of paint!
After I got them back, I immediately got to work on them. I ended up putting 12 coats, 2 coats for each product on both sides, of all three paint products on them. Yikes. I started with Rustoleum’s Clean Metal Primer, Ultimate Finish, and did two coats on the undersides, let them dry overnight, and then did two coats on the top sides the next night. I loved how fast it dried in between the coats.
And then it was time to paint. I really liked the white color of the primer, but since I LOVE color, I decided to go with Rustoleum’s Warm Yellow for the big table and two chairs, and Colonial Red for the little table. I loved how the two colors go so well together, but are definitely different, especially since the little table doesn’t appear to be the same style as the other pieces. I did two coats for each piece on the under sides and let them dry overnight.
I loved how they were looking at this stage. Also, because I was letting each side fully dry overnight, I didn’t get any cracking or bubbling that sometimes happens. I was pretty happy about that. In the above picture you can see where the rust had pitted the surface of this table. I actually think this one was the worst out of all, but I like all of the imperfections.
And I did the same for the last step. I put on two coats of Rustoleum’s Crystal Clear Enamel for the bottom sides, let dry overnight, and then did two coats on the top sides. The last of the 12 coats! I really hope this last step protects them from the elements. Ultimately, these will go in my screened in porch we hope to be building in June, so they won’t be totally out in the weather, but I would like them to have an extra amount of protection. For shock value, here is a before and after picture.
Whew! Also, I was going to mention that I did use one of those cheap sprayers you put over the can nozzles. I have to say I love that thing, and am thankful I tried it. I believe my finger/arm might have fallen off if I hadn’t:) Here they are done. This was the actual color of the pieces, taken without a flash, and in natural daylight. I love how the green grass makes these colors pop!
Thanks for looking, and I love comments, so feel free to leave one if you want!
Linking up to Funky Junk Interiors, Between Naps on the Porch, Tip Junkie, Domestically Speaking, Miss Mustard Seed and Thrifty Decor Chick.